Sunday 26 August 2007

A Potter's Book




Partly inspired by Pru Morrison's (Bum Crane) reference to Leaches worthy tome (which for whatever reason I have never picked up)I thought about the inluence ofbooks on practice,particularly MY practice.I don't know how I came by this book but it had a huge impact on me when compared to other publications on the crafts at the time.It is a series of interviews with English craft practitioners and introduced me to Lucie Rie's chocolate biscuits,Elizabeth Fritsch and Jacqueline Poncelet.It showed me that you didn't have to be a grizzled,bearded hermit ,living in the Blue Mountains,grinding rocks for glazes and digging your own clay to be a real potter.Many of the featured practitioners were urban with great haircuts!There was little real evidence of Eastern aesthetics aside from Uncle Bernard.Most of the work was refreshing and undeniably English

No comments: